Tooth clenching and grinding in response to stress have been suggested as triggers for headaches (especially tension headaches) and even migraine. You or your partner may not even be aware that you do this. Sometimes, if your teeth are in the wrong position the muscles which you use to move your jaw have to work harder and can get tired leading to muscle spasm.
Dental occlusal appliances can be helpful to try and reduce teeth grinding and jaw tension in the hope of reducing headaches or migraines. A dental occlusal appliance or splint is a small plastic covering which fits over either your upper or lower teeth, separating them, protecting them and allowing your jaw muscles to relax helping to prevent common night time habits such as grinding and clenching. Grinding your teeth can also be very damaging for your teeth.
If any of the following apply to you then you may benefit from an occlusal splint:
- if you know that you grind your teeth at night
- if you wake up with a tired aching or stiff jaw
- if you wake up with a tension headache or migraine
- if you experience pain behind your eyes
- if you experience sinus pains
- if you experience pain in your neck and shoulders